Patient Playbook (Team Owner)
You are the team owner and you are expected to take an active interest in your care.
Your team (bedside nurse and hospitalist) will be rounding in your room between 9:15 and 11:00 AM each morning
During Rounds please:
- Provide information to the nurses and physicians about your symptoms including pain and mental state.
- Try to be succinct (not too wordy) when communicating on rounds because your team is scheduled to see other patients after they see you. If you have many questions and need more time, let them know of your needs. Your physician and nurse can return after their formal work rounds to answer your additional questions.
- Be familiar with your illness and ask questions if you don’t understand.
- Learn as much as possible about your illness .
- The more you know the better you will be able to become actively involved in your own management.
- Keep a journal to assure key questions are not forgotten; take notes about your disease and management plans.
- Establish a strong working relationship with your nurses and physician. We want you to trust your team.
- Assist in designing the daily management plan with your nurse and physician during bedside rounds.
- Involve your family whenever possible in your care.
- If you become too ill to make decisions they will understand your wishes
- Discussing management issues with your family will allow you to make wiser decisions about your care.
- To bounce back from your illness and achieve greater resilience it is important to have a strong social network, and your most important social network is your family.