ER Nurse Playbook
You are the front line. You are the team’s primary link to the patient. You do the heavy lifting. Without you there is no care!
- Initially see the patient with the resident and when possible the attending
- MUST BE CLOSELY LINKED TO THE PHYSICIANS IN YOUR TEAM and participate on physician work rounds through HUDDLES
- Feel free to make suggestions for improvement (remember communication needs to be horizontal). You must feel safe to express your views without retribution.
- Constantly communicate with the patient and family. Keeps the patient informed as to the progress of their diagnostic studies and treatment.
- Give medications by mouth and intravenously
- Documents input and output and monitor vital signs
- Remember you are the physicians’ customers and the physicians must supply clear and timely orders. If you don’t understand the treatment plan you must ask questions on rounds.
- The physicians are also your customers, and using SBAR you should relate changes in the patient’s condition.
- Expects and provides the highest possible care for his/her patients